Jumat, 03 April 2009

Fannie, Freddie plan bonuses

Bank shareholders to ex-CEO: 'Give back your pension'

How would William Wallace have handled this?

Fed up shareholders at the Royal Bank of Scotland Group today voted more than 9-to-1 to, in effect, demand that former CEO Fred Goodwin give back his $1-million annual pension.

Goodwin, 50, has been the target of popular rage following his ouster last year, after soaring losses forced the bank to accept a bailout that gave the U.K. government a 58% stake in the company.

Goodwinvandals The vote rejecting Goodwin’s pay package was non-binding, as is typical with such shareholder measures. But it at least allowed investors to vent without resorting to physical violence -- unlike the vandals who stoned Goodwin's home in Edinburgh last month.

From Bloomberg News:

Kenneth Watt, a shareholder from Helensburgh, Scotland, said he voted against the remuneration plan.

"It was outrageous," Watt, 69, said. "There must have been alternatives."

RBS says the pension payments were required by Goodwin’s contract. The bank has asked lawyers to review the contract and RBS is "leaving no stone unturned" to see if any changes can be made, Chairman Philip Hampton said.

In an interview before the company's annual meeting, Hampton said he had asked Goodwin to give up a portion of the pension.

"A voluntary contribution from him either to the bank or a charity, or whatever, would be well received," he said in an interview with Bloomberg TV. "He said that he would think about that. How deep his thoughts are I am not sure."

Sky News cited unidentified sources saying that Goodwin isn’t considering the request. Phil Hall, Goodwin’s spokesman, declined to comment.

-- Tom Petruno

Photo: A glazier measures a vandalized window at the home of former Royal Bank of Scotland chief Fred Goodwin on March 25. Credit: Jeff J. Mitchell / Getty Images


Fannie, Freddie plan bonuses

WASHINGTONMORE than 7,600 employees of US government-rescued mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are to receive US$210 million (S$316 million) in bonuses to keep them in their jobs, according to documents released by a lawmaker on Friday.

Of the total retention bonuses planned over the next 18 months by the two companies, seized by the government last September to prevent their collapse, more than US$50 million have already been paid, the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) said in a letter to Senator Charles Grassley
Explore Howard: County unemployment rate at 5.2%


New York immigrant center shooting leaves 14 dead
A man armed with two handguns walked into an immigration services center and killed 13 people before apparently turning the gun on himself, police in Binghamton, New York, said on Friday.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar